Sunday, May 22, 2011

One Week until the Nav E Sink or Swim

It is almost here. The Nav E-Sink or Swim is one week from today. Unfortunately, my swimming training has kind of fallen off. Might be a good thing though. I may very well have been in danger of over training. Was doing several 1 hour plus swims a week. I have definitely cut back on the time in the pool. Still getting the same number of days in but I am now only doing 15 to 30 minute workouts after strength training sessions (lots of lower body work).

The big decision is whether I should do the race in a wetsuit or not. The biggest concern I have is that I will spend $200 on something I am not using enough or kick myself for not spending $400 because I am using it more than I thought.

The Sandy Hookers Tri Club has Monday and Friday evening training swims at Victory Park in Rumson, NJ. I checked it out a couple of Friday's ago. It looks like a lot of fun but my current work schedule does not really allow me to make it on a regular basis.

I have decided that I am going to do the 1.2 mile as my first open water swim. The 2.4 mile swim was probably a little too ambitious. I know I am risking some disappointment in not having attempted the 2.4 swim but I know that it is the right decision.

My bikes are definitely being neglected in 2011. Only 4 rides in 2011. Yesterday would have been a good day to get the 5th ride in but I had lots of errands to run. I am thinking of doing a long swim today and maybe doing some hill climb sprints on some local hills. The biggest problem I am having with riding these days is the amount of time it requires. By myself the rides are usually about 3 - 4 hours long. With the group I am finding that I am on the bike over 5 hours. With my work schedule this is a lot of time to devote especially since I am usually wiped out for the rest of the day after I get back. I need to find a closer job or one that pays as well but requires less hours. Good luck!

There is a planned group ride up Bear Mountain in New York on June 5. I am planning on doing that ride. Lots of climbing. Will definitely be a struggle but I do find pleasure in suffering. I will be going to Miami for vacation a couple of days later so I will have some time for recovery.

Watching Stage 16 of the Giro d'Italia. I may not be riding myself but I can watch others ride.

No comments: