Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sunday September 23, 2007 - A 55 Mile Ride and a Trip to the West Coast


I have lots of business travel planned so the only rides I am going to get in are going to be on the weekends. Fall is apon us here in the US Northeast and winter will be here soon enough. I have to get some cold weather gear if I want to keep riding up until the ski season starts. All I have right now are two pairs of long tights and one long sleeve jersey.

Yesterday I got caught in the rain. The weather forcast did not predict rain but the sky was overcast. I had orginally planned on putting in 40 - 50 miles but I only got about 20 miles. Half of which was in a down pour. No lightning so I felt kind of safe making my way back home. I did walk down Holland Hill since I usually get up 35 miles per hour on the drop and I did not want to try on the slippery road. After the ride I spent some time wiping down the bike and oiling the chain. I also order a Park Tool Repair Stand from the Peddler in Long Branch. It should be in by the weekend. I am tired of having to turn the bike over in the driveway when I want to work on the bike.

I am leaving for San Mateo, California this evening (7:55 PM Flight out of Newark) so I needed to get up early today in order to get my coffee base and then get an early start. By the time I got my two cups of coffee in me and finished my bowl of bran flaks it was almost 9:30 AM. Not nearly as early as I wanted to get out but...

Bike New York is running the Twin Lights Ride here in Monmouth County. The rides are from 30 to 100 miles. Several of the routes go right by my house. If I was not traveling I might have signed up for the the Century but I did not see any reason to spend $50 to ride the same route I ride everyday. I crossed paths with the official riders on several occasions. Not a bad way to spend the day. I ended up riding 55 miles in about 3 hours and 25 minutes. Time really seems to fly once I get on the bike.

No pictures since I have stopped bringing the camera. I really hate to stop once I start.

No comments: