Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Rode the Tuesday Evening Independent Ride


It was nice riding with others last week so I decided to try the Independent Bike Group again. The Tuesday ride is a faster ride on a somewhat flat course with some rolling hills. I met the group last year but did not ride with them because I was worried about going out on an A ride with a single speed. I did not want to end up being the person that everyone is waiting for (I hate getting dropped).


Since I have put in a lot of mileage since I bought the Langster in June of 2007 and I rode consistently over the winter I figured I was in good shape. If I did get dropped it would be at the end and I could limp home. Plus I figured it is always cool to do something different.


When other riders notice that I am riding a single speed the first question is usually why? In fact that was a question I would have asked as well last year. The main reason for me was I was looking for something that would provide a good cardio workout and be less stress on my body than running. I also could not decide what kind of road bike I wanted and at $600 the Langster was price right.


I enjoyed the ride with the Independent Group and I found myself ride much better in a group. All together I rode just under 40 miles which is one of the longest after work rides I have ever had. I did get dropped twice at the end. It appears that the group goes out easy in the beginning and hammers on the way the back. When I am riding by myself I usually go out hard in the beginning and limp home at the end.


I am going to try and go out with the group on Thursday and do the hill training.

2 comments:

brettok said...

Looks like someone could be in the market for some gears!

Flametop59 said...

Yes sir I might. I almost went out and slapped down the credit card today. The Peddler has a 52 Tarmac calling my name. I am trying to fight the feeling though.