Sunday, June 1, 2008

I hate getting dropped

I rode the A/A+ no drop ride that leaves from Colts Neck today. It is a 60 + mile ride. It is a 10 mile ride from my house to the start. I did OK for the first 30 miles an then I started getting dropped on the climbs. I lost the group and then I was done.

I really expected to do better. I have put the mileage in on the Langster but I am finding out that it does not matter. I am starting to think that it comes down to form and technique. I am not sure the kind of strength training I do helps out as well. Even though it is mostly muscle mass I am still carrying about 20 to 30 extra pounds. It also did not help that I was not hungry when I got up so I left the house without eating breakfast or having my morning coffee. I do not want to make any excuses.

At about the 40 mile mark I decided it was time to go off on my own. As the train went by me I told the last guy that I was turning around. It really was not fun and I knew that no matter what I was still going to ride 80 plus miles. The group leader came back to check on me since he was concerned that I did not know my way back. I assured him that I was used to riding by myself and I that knew the way back. Although I did get lost one. I crossed over RT 195 and I thought I had gone to far and missed a turn. I asked a jogger how to get back to Freehold and she gave me the directions that got me back on the right track.

I knew was not really all that lost since I could see the roller coasters of Six Flags Great Adventure. I did know that I was a long way from home. The drive to Six Flags always seems to take forever.

When I got back to the house I had logged 82.3 miles. I will am going to have to map the ride out on Map My Ride (I have yet to ride the loop to Spring Lake that I mapped last week).

I have not given up. I am going to keep trying until I get the hang of it. I am hoping to find a good training partner.

No comments: