Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Elvis Costello Catalog on iTunes

At last the Elvis Costello Catalog is available on iTunes. The early albums have been released on Mini Sleeves. I bought "My Aim is True" and "Armed Forces" from Jack's Music ( http://www.jacksmusicshoppe.com/) in Red Bank, New Jersey. I downloaded "This Year's Model" and "Get Happy" from iTunes. I am not sure if I am going to get any of the others. I remember being unhappy with everything after "Armed Forces" but "Get Happy" has grown on me. Maybe I will get "Imperial Bedroom" but I am still not sure.
The cover of "Armed Forces" is the art work that appeared on the Import Version which I owned. (Yes, I was a Vinyl snob when I was younger. I now see the error of my ways.)
The first time I saw Elvis Costello was on Saturday Night Live. I actually stayed up because the Sex Pistols were originally scheduled to play. At the time I had no idea who Elvis Costello was. I do remember him starting to play Less than Zero and then waving off the band only to start into Radio Radio. It was one of the most memorable moments I have ever witnessed on TV. It worked out well for Elvis since he got labeled as Punk just as the scene was gaining traction.

WOUR (96.9) in Utica started playing Watching the Dectectives in rotation. Now that I am older and more cynical I suspect that the whole SNL thing was planned. I have heard that Elvis Costello was banned from SNL for life by Lorne Michaels. I wondered if it is true?

I was inspired to create a 70s Punk Play list on iTunes. The CDs that make up the list are as follows:







  1. Elvis Costello - My Aim is True




  2. Elvis Costello - This Years Model




  3. Elvis Costello - Armed Forces




  4. Elvis Costello - Get Happy









  5. The Clash - London Calling





  6. The Ramones - Loud Fast

  7. The B-52s - The B-52s
  8. Gang of Four - Entertainment

  9. Graham Parker - Master Hits
  10. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks

  11. New York Dolls - New York Dolls



  12. Talking Heads - Sand in the Vaseline



  13. Iggy Pop (Stooges) - A Million in Prizes


I sorted by track number so that the songs are mixed up but still in the original order.




I am going to add the first Television CD and Richard Hell and Voidoids' "Blank Generation".


I know that these selections are not really punk. I probably need to add the Dead Boys, the Damn, the Stranglers and a couple of others. However, these are missing from my collection.

No comments: